About CEM Engineering
CEM is a recognized industry leader in Canada for the design, engineering and delivery of solutions for cogeneration, bio-energy and other forms of energy management. As a bio-energy and thermal power engineering firm, CEM specializes in custom-engineering solutions and design for biomass and biogas facilities, as well as cogeneration and renewable energy projects in both the municipal and industrial sectors.
CEM has unique biogas based experience, as the Owner’s of the firm, have worked with and for an anaerobic digester design-build firm, both as part owner and as project engineer.
CEM exists to help clients achieve their environmental management and energy production (and bio-energy utilization) goals.
CEM’s core competency has been in the areas of AD biogas design and energy utilization via cogeneration, boilers for AD tank heating, energy management, renewable natural gas and power generation, as well as biomass boilers for hot water and steam production, and other forms of thermal power utilization (including district energy).
CEM’s core areas in design and engineering services in the AD biogas, biomass and thermal power industries are:
- AD Biogas/RNG
- Energy Management
- Power Generation
- District Energy
AD Biogas / Renewable Natural Gas
- Biogas systems processing industrial, municipal, or agricultural residues streams to generate AD biogas.
- Biogas or landfill gas upgrading systems for the production of renewable natural gas (RNG).
- Combustion Gas Turbine Generator (GTG) based systems producing 10,000 lb/hr to 400,000 lb/hr of steam and 1 MWe and 50 MWe of electricity.
- Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) based systems producing hot water, steam, or thermal oil and electricity between 40 kW and 10 MW.
- Microturbine based systems producing hot water or steam and electricity, between 60 kW and 1,000 kW.
- Identification and implementation of Energy Management Opportunities and required sub‐metering.
- Reducing use of purchased natural gas, purchased electricity, and water/sewer charges through proper selection and application of appropriate technologies.
- Maximizing financial incentives from Federal, Provincial, and Local Distribution Company (LDC) sources.
- Emergency diesel generator sets to service critical loads.
- Natural gas or bi‐fuel generator sets for power security.
- Electrical islanding of an entire plant or entire building for load management and to preserve manufacturing viability.
Biomass and Thermal Fluid Boilers
- Sizing, selection, installation, and commissioning of steam, hot water, or thermal fluid boilers.
- Refurbishment/retrofitting of used water‐tube boilers.
- Upgrading of existing boiler controls.
- Integration of “balance‐of‐plant” equipment into boiler rooms/plants.
- Biomass boilers producing only hot water or steam. Biomass boilers producing both useful heat and electricity.
- Distribution of hot water, chilled water, and electricity from a central heating plant to district energy
- Distribution of steam from a central steam plant to steam customers.
- Energy transfer stations, complete with revenue grade metering.
Their services include:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Civil/ Structural Engineering
- Project (EPCMC) Services
- Commissioning Services
- Single Source, Turnkey Services
For more information about CEM Engineering, download the brochure here.
- Biogas Engineering and Consulting